The original Trust Deed to open a school in Horsington was signed in 1855 and Horsington School was officially opened in 1857 as a school for children up to the age of thirteen. Since 1958 it has been a Primary School for children aged from four to eleven years.
As a Voluntary Controlled school it was originally built, financed and administrated by the Church of England.
These functions were largely taken over by Somerset Local Authority, but the School’s character and ethos remained firmly based on its Christian origins, traditions and principles. In December 2013 we chose to convert to an Academy, and are now part of The Bath and Wells Multi-Academy Trust. There are a number of other schools in the Trust.
Our attractive main building maintains its original Victorian look from the outside but inside houses teaching units, a library, an ICT suite, a hall, kitchen, toilets and a school office. In October 2001 an extension was built onto the school and provides a modern, purpose-built classroom for children in the first year at our school.
At the same time a new entrance for pupils was built to link our extension to the original building. In 2002/3 our playground was extended and our hall was refurbished. In 2005 and 2007 new mobile classrooms replaced existing mobiles. In 2009 the Spinney (messy play area) was developed and a sensory area constructed in 2010.
We maintain close links with other Primary Schools in the area, taking part from time to time in joint ventures. At age eleven (at the end of Year 6) children will transfer to Secondary Education. Effective liaison between other schools takes place to ensure that transfer is smooth.
Teachers from secondary schools visit to meet pupils and discuss their progress with the class teacher. National Curriculum records are passed on and, in the summer term children visit their new school for a day.